National Savings Certificate (NSC) from Indian Post Office

by admin on March 9, 2010

National Savings Certificate (NSC) from Indian Post Office, 8.2 out of 10 based on 11 ratings
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 8.2/10 (11 votes cast)

National Savings Certificate

Interest Rate

Period during which purchased  

Maturity Value for a Denomination of      Rs.100.00    

From   To  
  01.01.1999   14.01.2000   Rs.195.60
15.01.2000 28.02.2001   Rs.190.12  
01.03.2001 28.02.2002   Rs.174.52  
01.03.2002 28.02.2003   Rs.169.59  
01.03.2003 onwards   Rs.160.10  



One person can be nominated for certificates of denomination of Rs. 100- and more  than one person can be nominated for higher denominations.  

  Maturity period is 6 years.  No premature encashment is permitted in the normal course.   

PREMATURE ENCASHMENT under sub-rule (1) of rule 16 after the expiry of  three years from the date of purchase of certificate.  Table below for a certificate of Rs.100 denomination and at a proportionate rate for a certificate of any other denomination.


Period from the date of the certificate to the date of its encashment.

Issued  from 01.03.2001 to 28.02.2002

Issued  from 01.03.2002 to 28.02.2003




Three years or more, but less than three years and six months








Three years and six months or more, but less than four years.








Four years or more, but less than four years and six months.








Four years and six months or more, but less than five years.








Five years or more, but less than five years and six months.








Five years and six months or more, but less than six years












Subscribe Updates, Its FREE!

Email ID:


Those who found this page were searching for:

indian post office nsc,post office nsc rules,nsc rules,NAC post office,nsc post office rules,post office india NSC,national saving certificate,nac in post office,indian post office nsc certificate,nsc details post office

{ 69 comments… read them below or add one }

smiti May 24, 2010 at 12:08 am

My husband bought NSCs worth Rs. 70,000 in 2006. Shortly thereafter he had a stroke and later died. I have no idea where the certifates are, what are the numbers, which post office they were purcahsed from and any other details. Is there anyway to trace them? He bought them for tax purposes, so is it possible to get duplicate tax returns which must have been filed? Since we shifted residences and the stroke damaged his brain, I have no idea what I can do and how I can trace them. We live in Mumbai. His tax consultant is not cooperative and neither is his family. Can you give me some guidance?


Abhijit Datta May 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Is it necessary to submit PAN for every transaction for balnce of more than Rs. 50000?
I was asked to comply with that at Konnagar PO Konnagar Hooghly West Bengal


gkdoda September 16, 2011 at 7:32 am

Yes, PAN card is mandatory for any transaction of Rs.50,000 or more.


Soma January 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Where do I submit the NC32 form duly filled and signed?I want to trasfer by NSC from Bangalore to Mumbai. Kinldy advise.Thanks!


gkdoda January 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm

You need to submit it to nearest post office.

Hope it will help you.


Ruby January 5, 2013 at 1:56 pm

You need to go to the nearest Post office ask them for transfer Form,Fill up the form as asked for.Submit there only.They will send it to the place you have bought from.Then they wi give local Registration number,It takes about 2-3 months


K.A.Ramananda gupta January 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm
gkdoda January 12, 2011 at 9:47 am

He can send the signed documents by courier to you and you can submit them here in post office.

Hope it will help you.


K.A.Ramananda gupta January 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

sir. my son purchased nsc certificate from post office. Now heis in usa .Pl, inform how he can receive the mature amount.For meager amount .Heis unable to, reply soon Thank you


sawant paramanand February 4, 2011 at 3:08 am
gkdoda February 4, 2011 at 7:37 am

You can not change the ownership of the scheme after investments.

Hope it will help you.


Satyadas78 February 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

Can i avail I.T. deduction facility on N.A.C. which i bought in 2009?


gkdoda February 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Tax deduction is available ONLY in financial yr in which your make investment and not after that.
Hope it will help you.


Pulkit Chaudhary March 30, 2011 at 4:49 am

what is the minimum amount i can buy NSC in the post office


gkdoda April 2, 2011 at 7:01 am

The Min amount is Rs.100/- and additional investment in multiples of Rs.100/-
Hope it will help you.


Manishddn April 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

My NCS got matured in 2010 and I had purchased them from Mumbai post office. I have now moved to Hyderbad. What is the process of enchashing NSC on Maturity. Do I need to go to Mumbai for the same?


gkdoda June 12, 2011 at 3:26 am

The process of transferring NSC from one post office to another is lengthy. It's better to visit the same branch once to encash it.


S K Sharma July 22, 2011 at 5:09 am

what is the rate of interest on nsc matured in sixth year


gkdoda July 29, 2011 at 4:18 am

The following link will help you.



Ssadeep September 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I have purchased NSCs in the year 2006/2007 for tax purpose. Is it possible to discount/prematurely encash the NSC after 3 years of its term? If so what are the criteria? Thanks for the kind help.


gkdoda September 16, 2011 at 7:40 am

Premature encashment of the certificate is not permissible except at a
discount in the case of death of the holder(s), forfeiture by a pledgee
and when ordered by a court of law.
Hope it will help you.


supriyadalvi December 29, 2011 at 5:29 am

I have a NSC certificate that is going to mature after some months. But the name on the certificate is my before marriage name. After marriage I have changed my name on most of the legal documents. I also plan to change it on the PAN card. In this case, do I have to change my name on the NSC certificate as well? If I don't, then on maturity , what documents will the POST office ask me before giving me back my money. I don't have any address proof for the old name. Please suggest.


gkdoda January 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

You can give the affidavit to post office for the change of name and they will issue the cheque in new name.
Hope it will help you.


Somenath July 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

When I was in India, I Purchased NSC and KVP. Those were matured in 2007. But I could not go back to India. Will the post office give any interest? Without going to India how can I get the money? Please help!!


Surojit Kumar Sinha September 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

My NCS got matured in this month and I had purchased them from Mukdumpur post office in dist of Malda. I have now moved to this post office 5 times but due in adequate manpower they unable to pay the same. What is the other process of enchashing NSC on Maturity. Do I need to go to Consumer Forum for the same?
Surojit Kumar Sinha


admin September 14, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Get in touch with postmaster and ask for the concerned name to address RTI application name. He’ll surely help you.


Subha October 1, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hello Sir,

I have lost my NSC Certificates today unfortunately(Rs 20000 — 4*5000). They are taken in Borivali,Mumbai Post Office and matured in March 2012. They are on my name – Satya Phani Subha Koppireddi. Can you please help me get the NSC numbers from your records.
I would be grateful to you.



Roy November 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm


I purchased NSC in 2003 and the maturity is in december 2012. i lost all the certificates. What is the process to reclaim the maturity amount?



Joshi j m November 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I Lost My NSC of Rs.1000/- Indimnity Bond Must required for this amount of Rs,1000/- & What is procidure for Duplicate NSC
Pl give me guideline
Than you for co-operation
———–Joshi J M


Joshi j m November 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Pl mail me guideline, Indimnity bond requiered for lost of Rs.1000/- NSC

& gv guideline ,,,kya Bond jaruri hai?????
Rs.200/- is so expencive for Rs.1000/-“s NSC… what to now…??


Sridhar Sinha November 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm


I brought NSC on my father in laws name keeping my wife as second applicant which gets matured next month. During this period my FatherinLaw died. We now stay in Wardah while NSC taken at Mumbai.

I wish to know will my wife still get the maturity amount ? What is the procedure for the same?


Mayur December 16, 2012 at 10:08 am

NSC bonds expired in 2010, and came across them recently. Unfortunately, I am outside of India and will take time to get back. How can I close or extend this certificate? Is there available procedure to follow online?


admin December 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm

There is no procedure to extend or close it online. It can be done only when you’re back in India. There is no other alternative as of now.


Anupam April 3, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi Admin

I lost my NSC certificate which I bought in year 2005 and it is matured now, I don’t have the NSC number or exact date of purchase. Please help me in retrieving the NSC details so that I can encash it. Please do reply as I have noticed dat you have not answered any query regarding lost NSC certificates.



Shiva December 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

Please tell me where i can buy NSC in Bangalore? what is procedure to buy NSC?

please send me your reply.


Deepa January 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm


I have bought my NSC bonds in Bangalore, while I have re-located to Hyderabad. Can I encash them in any post office in Hyderabad or It is required that I should encash them in same post office where I bought them? Thanks


chandu January 29, 2013 at 12:18 am

sir…..i am not getting perfect idea from your please update me..i want to know about NSC maturity period and terms


milon January 31, 2013 at 2:23 pm

i have purchased 20000 NSC from gurgaon (HR) post office on 2006 january and maturity date january 2012. certificate has been damage due to pest in my house, but serial number are cleary seen. please help me, how to get back matured money or procedure to further communication.


rakesh panchal February 1, 2013 at 8:43 pm

mere pass january 1990 me rs. 1000 ke nsc. kharide the jo aaj ki date tak encash nahi kar paya hu. krupiya mujhe batayenge ki aaj january 2013 tak maturity amount kitna hoga.


sandeep February 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hi Admin,

whats the correct procedure to encash mature NSC certificates. Mine’s matured last month and unable to find the procedure on the website.

1. is there a specific encashment form which needs to be filled ?
2. do I get the encashed value in cash or rupees ?
3. approximately how long does the procedure take to complete ?


Rajesh February 6, 2013 at 6:36 am


Please provide me a link where I can check my nsc from the number provided on the nsc.


pradeep sawant February 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm

depositor and nominee of nsc both expired. how to take refund by survivors? which forms to be used?


Vikas February 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I have NSC’s from a post office in Haryana. But now a days I am in Bangalore. Can I encash those here. If yes then What is the procedure and How much time it will take. For your note – NSC matured recently. Thanks


Srinivas February 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm


My NSC was matured on 01/13, currently I am outside of India and will take time to get back. Have seen your reply to one of the question if it can be closed online. Wanted to check if I can encash this with the help of relatives in India?If yes, please could you share the list of documents and templates for them?



Sweta Shaw March 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm

What is the procedure of changing the maiden name to new name after marriage in the

NSC certificate.


prashant pandit March 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Dear Sir, My father had purchased Nsc worth rs 100000 in aug 2006 . He died of cancer in 2009 and my mother too went through hip surgery during the same time .Later i realised that the certificate were missing as they were due in aug 2011. we were joint holders so i never thought that something like this would happen suddenly.we tried contacting nearby post offices but in vain . i have the certificate nos luckily but unable to find where i get my dues from . would appreciate if you could guide me on the same.

prashant pandit
Bhakti park wadala


Jai March 30, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hi Admin,

I have bought my NSC bonds in Bangalore, while I have re-located to Hyderabad. Can I encash them in any post office in Hyderabad or It is required that I should encash them in same post office where I bought them? Thanks.



S Mazoomdar April 28, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Dear Sir ,

My father had bought NSC s from Aurangabad post office .
My mother is the registered nominee.

He is now expired in 2009 and the NSCs matured in 2011.
What is the procedure to claim the amount in kolkata ?

We are tyring for 2 years and even been to Aurangabad post office but to no avail .

Thanks in advance .


PRAY May 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I have one NSC and its matured but I am not able to withdraw as I am now in abroad and will take time to get back.
My question is Can I withdraw it after 1 0r 2 years? What is the max period of time to keep it as it is in PO?


Basant Lohiya May 21, 2013 at 7:42 am

how to find the nomination registered number in nsc.


Rupesh Kumar June 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm


My NSC is going to mature on july 2013. I am living in delhi and bought these from GPO kanpur(U.P).What is the procedure for encashing NSC and how much time generally it take to complete whole process, since I have to take leave for this.

Rupesh Kumar


Suresh Kumar Sharma June 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm


My son Pankaj Sharma was depositor of three NSC certificates of Rs. 10,000/-( Rupees Ten thousand only ) each bearing Nos. xxxxxxxxxx,and xxxxxxxxxx deposited on 06.06.2009 at High Tech City Hyderabad and maturity date was 06.06.2015. . My son met with fatal accident in Delhi on 15th of June, 2013 and died . I am his father and nominee and I am the sole surviving legal heir.I want the amount of three stated NSCs to be prematurely released in my favour. Please let me know the formalities for the same if any. I have my Savings account in PNB, Sector-7, Rohini branch bearing no.xxxxxx.You can make any sort of enquiry from me if you find it proper . My details are as under:

Suresh Kumar Sharma,

An early response is solicited


admin June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am

Sorry to hear about your son.

If you’re a legal heir as per nominee in certificates, there will be no problem in getting the money. You’ve to visit the same post office branch with original NSC certificates with death certificate, your ID and address proof, ration card, cancelled cheque of your bank and photograph.

Do keep the originals also for verification.

The post office will provide you the necessary forms. They may ask you 1-2 documents more; so be ready to visit the post office 1-2 times more.

In case they do not co-operate, contact postmaster or file online complaint at

Hope it will help you.


Khirod Kumar Sahoo July 29, 2013 at 3:40 pm

In NSC , online service is avail or not?


KN Kashyap August 4, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I have bought NSC certificate (20,000/-) in 2013 from Kolkata. now I have lost my certificates. what is the procedure to avail it from post office?


Kamal Prasad August 13, 2013 at 9:02 am

I wish to withdraw pre-mature amount of NSC after 5 years but Post Office refused saying any NSC will be paid only after maturity. Even they told that the above information is not correct…


Premal August 31, 2013 at 10:46 am

My wife needs to change her name on the national savings certificates to her married name. Can you suggest what will be the easiest way to do that in Mumbai.


Baldev Singh December 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

i Purchased the NSC no. 44 DD 655690,44DD 655691,44DD 655692 on dated 3/2/2007 Amounting 15000/= From G H T P Lehra Mohabat (PB) & 55DD 962494,73EE 158489 on dated 21/8/2006 from Rampura Phool (PB) but after 3 years from purchasing i wrought
a application to Post master Sadulshahar (ganganager) Raj.for transfer of my NSC from Lehra mohabat & Rampura phool to sadulshahar
but after maturity of above NSC ,i went to Sadulshahar post office post master told me your NSC not transfer to sadulshahar than i gone to lehra mohbat & Rampura phool for enmeshment of above NSC Both post master asked me your NSC has been transferred to sadulshahar.
please show me right way what can i do.


Ashish Trehan December 20, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hello Sir/Madam,

I bought NSC back in 2007 and they are matured now, unfortunately i am out of India so just want to check if my father can visit the same post office with original NSC’s and withdraw them on my behalf. I’ll really appreciate if you could please advise me what document he’ll need in order to withdraw, like POA (Power of Attorney) authorizing him to do so.

I’ll be waiting for your reply and thank you for all the help.

Ashish Trehan


Vijay Bhaskar Semwal December 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm

How to get duplicate National Savings Certificate
Any investment made in the National Savings Certificate (NSC) is represented by certificates issued in the name(s) of the investor(s). Though the certificates can be held in the dematerialised form in the same account that is used for holding shares, investors can continue to hold the NSCs in the physical form. On maturity, these certificates have to be surrendered to the issuing post office in order to redeem the investment.

However, in physical form, the certificates are liable to be misplaced, stolen or destroyed. This can result in a situation where the investor’s funds are withheld on maturity. There is, however, a way out. You can get duplicate certificates issued by filing an application on the prescribed form.


Form NC 29 is the prescribed form on which the investor can apply for the issuance of a duplicate certificate. The form can be downloaded from

Certificate of identification

The person filing the application has to secure a witness to declare that he knows the applicant and that the application was signed in his presence.

Supporting documents

If the certificate has been stolen or lost, a police complaint has to be filed and a copy of the FIR enclosed. An indemnity bond must also be furnished by the investor.


A fee, prescribed from time to time, has to be paid while applying for the issuance of a duplicate certificate.

Points to note

Information: The application has to provide details of the name(s) in which the certificates were originally issued, the serial number, date of issuance, mode of holding, etc.

Submission of request: The form may be submitted either at the issuing post office or at any other post office.

Vijay Bhaskar Semwal


saiful February 2, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I would like to know about the documents required to purchase NSC. Every time the PO ask for different documents. Right now they are asking for picture, voter id & pan card each time although I have CIN number with the PO.


Shobhit Mittal March 6, 2014 at 10:33 pm


What is the procedure to change the name on NSC?

In my case , name has been entered incorrect even though the attached PAN Card copy is having correct name. Please Help.

Shobhit Mittal


Sachin March 21, 2014 at 9:36 am

I lost my NSC certificate which I bought from Ahmedabad in year 2011 , I don’t have the NSC number or exact date of purchase and about the post office . Please help me in get duplicate certificate the NSC details so that I can encash it. Please do reply as I have noticed dat you have not answered any query regarding lost NSC certificates.
So please suggest me.


ck Das March 21, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Is there any chance for false NSC ,taken from agents


K Kannan April 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Rs.50000/- was deposited into NSC (5 Certificates of Rs.10000/- each) by my Mother-in-Law in her name, in Hyderabad. The 8 Year 7 Month period will get expire by Nov 2014. Unfortunately, my Mother-in-Law (89 years) expired in March 2014. Can U please tell what is the procedure for claiming the material value. Is this to be done now itself or after the maturity period.

please Help with your valuable advise.


K Kannan April 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Please read it as “maturity value” instead of “material value” in my query given above.


Kaushalendra April 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

My father left for heavenly aboard (died). He was having one NSC of Rs 6000/- which is going to mature after a few years. Please let me know what documents I have to produce at the time of its maturity or what is the procedure in such situations. I am having the original NSC with me.

Thanks & Regards,


hemkant May 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm

i had recurring deposit at my native place after maturity i was issued a cheque of said amount by post office in feb 2014. later this cheque was deposited in bank of india navi mumbai branch on april 2014 for clearence. the above cheque is missing from the bank in clearing process .bank of india is ready to issue such letter regarding missing of cheque . i want to know the procedure to procure another cheque from the post office.


Rajat Singh August 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

i want details on nsc from indian post


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: